Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Quick Trip to Nairobi and a Nice Sucess

Kisumu is boring. There is no avoiding that. After spending two months here, there is nothing new to do, nothing new to see, and no vibe to enjoy. Easy solution: leave. Salina, Ayaka and I did just that.

We spent a quick weekend in Kenya's capital city of Nairobi. I was prepared for a busy, congested, disaster of an urban center that grew up too quickly with no proper planning. Everyone I have spoken with has hated Nairobi, and I mean everyone. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised. I think it was the inner New Yorker in me who salivates at the notion of too many people, noise, traffic, and all things opposite of calm. Or maybe it is having two months of the same old Kisumu under my belt that made me crave something different. Whatever the reason, I kind of liked Nairobi. It is definitely not my favorite city, but it was doable. We hung out with some of Salina's friends, who showed us a good time. Granted, on our way to dinner one night we were arbitrarily stopped by some cops and had to bribe them to let us go. No wonder Kenya's police force is ranked the most corrupt in the region. Other than that, it was pleasant enough.

Pictures of Nairobi

Our first day back in Kisumu involved one of the few successes of our work with MCI. We had been planning a meeting among CHWs and clinic representatives. Previous (failed) meetings have taught us not to get our hopes up, but this time was different. Of those invited, almost everyone showed up. The dialogue was good. Some serious issues surfaced regarding the functioning of the health system in Manyatta. It looks like some progress will be made, finally. It felt good to have something finally go your way after about two months of nothing but frustration and discouragement, both of which usually come with priceless lessons for which I am grateful. So, as my time here in Kenya wanes, I can feel good that this one little meeting went well.

I will be traveling for the next couple of weeks. Mombasa, Malindi, Lamu. All on the coast. I will be alone for most of this (thank god - two months living and working witht the same people takes its toll on you), and look forward to some relaxation by the Indian Ocean. If all goes well, I should have some good pictures to post when I get back.

1 comment:

  1. Your summer sounds amazing. When do you get back to America? I miss you!

    ReplyDelete